Thursday 2 August 2012

3 Layer Chocolate Cake

Earlier this year I made a 1st birthday cake for my godsons sister Ruby. It was a Giant Cupcake with white chocolate fingers and strawberry buttercream.

Now its my godson, Ben's birthday and he is turning 9. Which is scary to think about since I remember bringing him home from the hospital and seeing him at only hours old. He's growing up fast and into a lovely young man.

He loves chocolate and wanted a cake like his sister had. Since he is at that stage where he needs a manly cake for him and his friends I suggested something a little different. So I made him a 3 layer chocolate cake, with a middle layer as red vanilla cake. He's a big Man Utd fan too.


Ingredients

This recipe fills a single 6" sandwich tin, anything larger than this and I had a terrible feeling he would be eating cake for the rest of his life.
  • 140g Self Raising Flour
  • 140g Caster Sugar
  • 140g Butter (I use Stork)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Heaped Tablespoons of Cocoa
  • 2 Teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
  • 2 Tablespoons of Milk
  • Red food colouring (for the red vanilla cake)
I made this mix up 2 x for the chocolate layers and then again but without the cocoa and with the colouring for the red vanilla. If you see the mix start to split when you are adding food colouring, simply add a spoon of flour and continue to mix. I use a stand mixer but a simple hand whisk will do the job.

The cake was covered in chocolate buttercream which is simply my basic buttercream recipe plus cocoa. You can grab this recipe here: Basic Vanilla Buttercream. And lovingly adorned with Malteasers and 3 cake sparklers.






Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment